Cthulhu Angband - CthAngband
Current version: 4.1.0 (22nd October 2000)
Original author: Dean Anderson
Current maintainer: David Thornley
Webpage: CthAngband home page
Based on: ZAngband 2.1.0e
Cthulu-Angband has many monsters based on the books of
So be prepared to lose your sanity!
Changes in version 4.1.0
- Any character starting with Shaman skill gets one free spirit bound.
- Any character with hermetic magic skills will get one free spellbook
- Pets will not be targetted by the "*" key.
- There are new base skill levels, essentially the level learnable at
0', and these are subtracted from the skill learnable at the current
dungeon level; for example, it is possible to raise Toughness above
3% at 50'.
- Raising Martial Arts skill now does not depend soley on Close Combat
- Certain changes have been made to allow the roguelike keyset to work
- Characters with sufficiently high missile skill get extra shots,
depending on weapon type. The most shots are available with a bow,
next a sling, next a crossbow.
- There is now a visual cue, in the "depth" area, as to whether you are
in a dungeon or tower.
- Corrected bug whereby characters with Mindcrafting of 80% or better
did not get ESP.
- A character trying to cast a cantrip from a charm unsuccessfully may
get no effect, rather than destruction of the charm, at very low skill
- Additional documentation has been added. Most of the differences
between Vanilla Angband and Cthangband are now in the "Help" files.
(Thanks to Kieron Dunbar for the following ideas, and, sometimes,
- The display has been changed to show spirits and how annoyed they are.
- *Identified* weapons show what skill they need.
- The restriction on a 6% failure rate to learn magical skills has been
replaced by a restriction that character skill must be no more than
50% greater than the minimum skill for that spell, mindcrafting power,
cantrip, or spirit favor.
- Minimum annoyance for spirit favors has been raised to 2, so a spirit
will not immediately become placated for the next turn.
Changes in version 4.0.0
- Windows version has updated menus and faster repaints and can
now use monospaced system fonts as well as bitmap fonts. (From
Tim Baker's version of Kamband.)
- Player breath weapons (from dragon plate or mutations)
and 'wands of dragon breath' now use cone shaped attacks.
- Bug in 'unified commands' fixed so that objects on the floor
no longer get prompted for twice.
- Angels (and their uniques) have been removed and replaced with
extra Cthuloid entities.
- Implemented Drangband style player ghosts.
- Corrected 'time of day' algorithm and added time display.
- Added Eric Bock's code to combine similar messages in message
- Monster breaths are now cone shaped, rather than ball shaped
- Speed system cleaned up (a lot) with regard to spellcasting.
- 'help.hlp' is now system specific ('help-dos.hlp' etc.) so
that it can point to a different set of files for the different
interfaces and systems.
- Windows version asks for a savefile name when starting a new
file, rather than automatically naming it after the character
that is generated.
- 'New Game' and 'Load Game' on Windows interface changed to 'New
Savefile' and 'Load Savefile' as some people were confused and
thought that they needed to use the 'New Game' command after
they had died.
- 'Help' menu on Windows interface updated.
- Hedge magic added as a third type of magic.
- Shamanism added as a second type of magic.
- Mindcrafting no longer uses 'Mana' but uses 'Chi' instead.
- Levels and classes removed and replaced with a skill system.
- Missing directories are re-created on Windows version.
- Added Zangband's view centring code.
- Reorganised and cleaned up 'options'.
- Added (and modified) ???'s point based stat generation code.
Changes in version 3.1.2
- Fixed bug with Corporeal Books not stacking properly.
- Most object commands (e.g. 'q'uaff, 'z'ap, 'E'at, 'b'rowse, etc.) have
been unified into a single 'u'se command that will do whatever is most
appropriate for the item.
- Added 6 'Pouch' equipment slots that can each hold a scroll, potion or
wand. Items readied in a pouch only take 1/10th of the time to use that
normal items do.
- Message about 'Library' when trying to gain spells changed to 'Bookstore'
as it was confusing people.
- Most (but not quite all) documentation files updated.
- Stats over 18/100 are no longer displayed as 'silly' percentages.
- Class 'sub-names' (used in documentation) are now used in game as well.
- Vault code updated to properly handle large array of vaults.
- Chopping down of trees and bushes is now included in 'repeat obvious commands'.
- Characters who can't learn spells are no longer asked to study in the library.
- Roads added between towns and forest made denser.
- Chris Weisiger's 'v_info.txt' file updated to the new version.
- Cleaned up lots of dead code in Load/Save routines.
- Fixed bug in home which gave the wrong inventory after resting for the night.
Changes in version 3.1.1
- Chaos Patrons now have more descriptive names on the 'C'haracter
display, and have been changed from the 'Warhammer' Chaos Gods to the
'Glorantha' Chaos Gods.
- Adam Bolt's Graphics for bolt and ball spells are now used.
- Eric Bock's bias remover for the RNG added.
- Chris Weisiger's new 'v_info.txt' file used.
- 'Mutations' renamed 'Chaos Features' to make them more in-genre.
- 'Wizard Help' command (<ctrl>'A','?' in Wizard Mode) added to list of wizard commands.
- 'Debug' mode and 'Wizard' mode combined to make things simpler.
Wizard commands are now accessed through <ctrl>'A' in wizard mode.
- Hack added to 'fix' savefiles saved from versions with guardian bug
by resurrecting dead uniques so that they can re-used as guardians.
- Guardians now drop their normal treasure as well as extra guardian treasure.
- Last vestiges of hangs from invalid guardian placement now removed (hopefully...)
- Uniques that appear as guardians now have their escorts with them.
- The Inn will now sell scrolls of "Satisfy Hunger".
- Examining store books now tells you what's in them.
- Wilderness now uses the same lighting model as the town.
- Secret doors may now be locked or jammed once found.
- Huge code clean-up should make porting easier.
- Wilderness map is now coloured.
- 3x and 2x experience for first kills downgraded to 2x and 1.5x.
- Chaos-Mage class added.
- Windows version no longer looks for the unused '8x8.bmp' file.
- Druid class added (a specialist nature priest).
- Removed sound/midi options from main options menu as they did nothing anyway.
- Fixed bug in 'Mutate Body' spell so it no longer always gives the same mutation.
Changes in version 3.1.0:
- Priests and Rangers no longer get Sorcery as it is to 'magey' for them.
- Water now behaves properly (you can see over it and cast spells over it).
- Occasional crashes when moving diagonally off edge of wilderness grids fixed.
- The 'Monk' class has become the 'Mystic' class, and is now based on corporeal magic.
- A new realm ('Corporeal') has been added. All the spells are self-affecting.
It has a reasonably large overlap with Life (for the healing spells) and Planar
(for the movement spells). It has sensing spells *very* early.
- Characters will no longer start in the town of Nir.
- The 'M' key displays a proper wilderness map with town and dungeon locations.
- Allies (formerly called 'Pets') can move from level to level with the player.
- Characters are now given randomly generated names when created.
- Vampires no longer start on the stairs (no longer necessary now they start at night).
- Experience for creatures now varies depending on how many you have killed.
- Ironman option added.
- Long Stairs is now a standard option, rather than a character generation option.
- New speed system implemented.
- Shops now have a ubique set of owners each, rather than a selection per shop type.
- Dungeon name printed with level feeling.
- Quest info moved from <crtl>'Q' to <ctrl>'F' with level feeling.
- Option for always having small levels added.
- Fixed bug in home that turned it into an inn after resting for the night.
- Breeder dying code removed (but generation limit left in).
Changes in version 3.0.1:
- Keys 'O' and ''' mapped to racial power and time respectively in Rogue-like mode.
- Robert Ruehlmann's 'Equippy Chars' code added.
- Monsters can now cross bush tiles.
- Jeff Duprey's extra 52 mutations added.
- Keldon Jones' patch to automatically update '.raw' files added.
- Trees, bushes and water now handle tunneling correctly.
- 'Quick Start' option generates an entire character with a single keypress.
- Windows version can cope without its '.ini' file.
- Robert Ruehlmann's improved pet AI added.
- Preserve mode now preserves artifacts left in dungeon when Ritual goes off.
- Changing the character name no longer creates a new savefile.
- Menu structure for Windows version rearranged.
- Source code fixed to make Windows version compile properly and use Adam Bolt graphics.
- It is now possible to rest for the night (or day) at your home.
- Undead races now start the game at night.
- Dungeon names displayed on wilderness grids to make dungeons easier to find.
- Bug in display code preventing unidentified potions/scrolls being shown properly in text mode fixed.
The changes from ZAngband 2.1.0 are:
- Huge amounts of cosmetic changes to remove Zelazny stuff and replace it with Lovecraftian.
- Warrior-Mages can now choose Sorcery.
- Monster-Health bar now gives status of monster as text.
- Heino Vander Sanden's quest code ported from Quangband with minor changes.
- Out of genre 'Rockets' replaced with 'Shard balls'.
- Most 'silly' monsters removed or replaced.
- Multi-stair option for quick level ascending/descending.
- 'How many?' question for multiple objects now defaults to all rather than 1 (except for buying things).
- To win, ALL dungeon guardians must be killed, not just Azathoth.
- Finding secret doors earns 1xp, like picking locks.
- Wilderness areas with dungeons have tougher monsters to make it easier to find the dungeon entrances.
- 15 different dungeons added, each with their own Guardians
- Wilderness levels added.
- Pawnbroker, Inn and Hall of Records added to town.
- Breeders can no longer be quest monsters, can now only breed to
10 generations and now have 1 in 5 chance of dying off instead
of reproducing, so they don't get out of hand quite so much.
- Robert Ruehlmann's quest generation algorithm used to tone down the level of quest monsters.
- DOS version now has Adam Bolt graphics for different race/classes of the player.
Sorry, no real review yet.